Mitchell Park Domes Google Map
Land for Mitchell Park was first purchased by the Milwaukee Park Commission in 1889. As our first permanently named park, Mitchell is the oldest park in the Milwaukee Parks system. The original Milwaukee Conservatory, built in traditional glass house style, was opened to the public in 1899. A large water mirror, fountains and extensive parterre gardens were constructed on the Mitchell Park Grounds in 1904. The area known as the Sunken Garden was featured south of Milwaukee's Mitchell Park Conservatoryuntil 1994. The tradition of flowers as the keystone at Milwaukee's Mitchell Park remains today. Razing of the old Conservatory to make way for The Mitchell Park Domes horticultural Conservatory facility took place in 1955.